Applying and processing of applications

The applicant for pay security may be:

  • an employee
  • an employee organisation, to which the employee has transferred the claim for collection
  • a bankruptcy estate, if the employer has declared bankruptcy.

Pay security is applied for with a form, which may be obtained from this page, on the website or from an Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office). In order to determine the claim, it is a good idea to append copies of a written employment contract, employment certificate and payslip to the application.

The Uusimaa ELY Centre is responsible for processing and deciding on the pay security application. The application processing time varies on a case-by-case basis. Processing time is affected by, for example, the time needed for the notification procedure. Decisions are given in Finnish and Swedish.

The processing time of pay security applications will be shorter if:

  • you fill out the application carefully, answer all questions found on the form and remember to sign it
  • you append all the necessary documents (employment contract, payslips, shift lists, termination of employment notice, bank statements) to your application
  • you respond to any requests for additional information precisely and quickly
  • you keep your contact information up to date and immediately notify the ELY Centre of any changes. Also report whether your employer has paid the claims after you submitted your pay security application to the ELY Centre.

The ELY Centre will send the application for pay security to the employer/bankruptcy estate of the employer for its own information and provide them with an opportunity to issue a statement concerning to the application. At the same time, the employer insolvency will be investigated by means of the Suomen Asiakastieto Oy credit information database, enforcement authorities and tax authorities.

Dealing with pay security matters

The pay security application and other documents concerning pay security matters may be submitted to the Uusimaa ELY Centre by mail or email.

The pay security application may also be turned in to any ELY Centre or TE Office, from which it will be forwarded to the Uusimaa ELY Centre.

A pay security application concerning work performed abroad may be turned in to any Finnish consulate or embassy.

Pay security customer service provides general advice on applying for pay security and the processing of pay security matters. Pay security customer service also handles enquiries and contact with government agencies and other co-operative parties.

ely-updated 16.01.2024