Wage guarantee (also known as Pay security)
All wage guarantee matters in Finland are handled in the Uusimaa Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre). The estimated wage guarantee application processing time is four (4) months since the application is submitted. The estimate is based on the average processing time. If the application requires further requests for additional information or clarification, the processing time can be longer.
If you have Finnish social security number and you have online banking credentials you may file an application via electronic service: https://sahkoinenasiointi.ahtp.fi/en
Filled and scanned application may be submitted by classified e-mail by registering to https://turvaviesti.ely-keskus.fi/ and selecting as an recipient Uudenmaan ELY-keskus/palkkaturva. Printed application can be sent via mail to Uusimaa ELY Centre / Pay security, PO Box 54, 00521 HELSINKI, Finland. Applications may also be submitted personally to any ELY Centre or Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office).
The wage guarantee application must be submitted within three (3) months of the claim due date.
Wage guarantee system
The wage guarantee system ensures the payment of employee claims arising from an employment relationship in the event of employer insolvency.
A wage guarantee application may be submitted by the employee or the employee organisation, to which the employee has transferred the claim for collection. If an employer has declared bankruptcy, wage guarantee may also be applied for by the administrator of the bankruptcy estate.
Learn more about the application procedure on the subpages. Please note that you may only apply for wage guarantee following the procedure shown on this page. Therefore, do not use, for example, the palkkaturva.fi website.
The Unemployment Insurance Fund compensates the state annually for the difference between capital paid as wage guarantee and capital collected from employers. Wage guarantee is collectively funded by employers through unemployment insurance contributions.
- Pay Security Act 27.11.1998/866 (finlex.fi)
- Council of State Ordinance on Pay Security 22.12.2009/1276 (finlex.fi, in Finnish and Swedish)
- Seamen's Pay Security Act 15.12.2000/1108 (finlex.fi)
- Seafarers' Employment Contracts Act 756/2011 (finlex.fi)
- Maritime Act 674/1994 (finlex.fi, in Finnish and Swedish)
- Electric applying (partially English, Local government e-service sahkoinenasiointi.ahtp.fi)
- How to apply for pay security (in English, Suomi.fi)
- Application for pay security A: employee (in English, pdf)
- Data protection and register description of PATU pay security system (in Finnish, pdf)
- Data protection and register description of PATU pay security system (in Swedish, pdf)
- Register description of Gorilla debt recovery system (in Finnish, pdf)
- Register description of Gorilla debt recovery system (in Swedish, pdf)
Monday - Friday 12:00 - 15:00
From Finland: 0295 020 020
International: +358 295 020 020
Call prices (in Finnish)
Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Uusimaa / Pay security
PO Box 54