Appealing the pay security decision
Detailed instructions on appealing a decision are included with the pay security decision.
Employee filing an appeal with the Unemployment Security Appeal Board
An employee may file an appeal concerning a pay security decision with the Unemployment Security Appeal Board and, based on its decision, with the Insurance Court in cases where:
- the application was rejected because it was submitted late
- the application was rejected because it was not possible to verify the employer's insolvency
- the application was rejected because the claims were not based on an employment relationship
- the application was rejected due to suspected misuse of pay security.
Employee complaint in a court of first instance
If the claim for pay security is rejected because the employer is contesting it, the employee must file a complaint against the employer in a district court in order to maintain his/her right to pay security. If the claim for pay security is rejected because the pay security authority was unable to ascertain its grounds and amount, but the employer has not contested it, the employee must file a complaint in a district court against the state. If the employer has declared bankruptcy, no complaint may be filed - the employee must instead lodge his/her claim in the bankruptcy proceedings.
Following legal proceedings, the employee must submit a new pay security application within three months of the judgement taking effect.
Employer's action concerning recovery
The employer ordered to pay in a pay security decision may apply for an amendment of its payment obligation by filing a recovery action against the state. If the employer has declared bankruptcy, the dispute concerning the payment obligation can be resolved in connection with the bankruptcy proceedings.
- Pay Security Act 27.11.1998/866 (finlex.fi)
- Council of State Ordinance on Pay Security 22.12.2009/1276 (finlex.fi, in Finnish and Swedish)
- Seamen's Pay Security Act 15.12.2000/1108 (finlex.fi)
- Seafarers' Employment Contracts Act 756/2011 (finlex.fi)
- Maritime Act 674/1994 (finlex.fi, in Finnish and Swedish)
- Electric applying (partially English, Local government e-service sahkoinenasiointi.ahtp.fi)
- How to apply for pay security (in English, Suomi.fi)
- Application for pay security A: employee (in English, pdf)
- Data protection and register description of PATU pay security system (in Finnish, pdf)
- Data protection and register description of PATU pay security system (in Swedish, pdf)
- Register description of Gorilla debt recovery system (in Finnish, pdf)
- Register description of Gorilla debt recovery system (in Swedish, pdf)
Monday - Friday 12:00 - 15:00
From Finland: 0295 020 020
International: +358 295 020 020
Call prices (in Finnish)
Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Uusimaa / Pay security
PO Box 54