Abnormal transports permits
- What is an abnormal transport?
- Who issues permits for abnormal transports in Finland?
- When permit is required?
- Applying for abnormal transport permit
- Permit procedure
An abnormal transport is a transport of a vehicle or vehicle combination, having either no load or an indivisible load, which exceeds at least one authorized dimension or weight allowed in normal road traffic in Finland.
An indivisible load cannot be divided, for road transport, into two or more loads without unreasonable cost or risk. Due to its weight or dimensions, an indivisible load cannot be transported on any type of vehicle or vehicle combination without exceeding an authorized weight or dimension allowed in normal traffic in Finland.
NOTE!! In Finland the authorized dimensions and total weights are partly bigger than in the rest of Europe. See more detailed information in separate appendices about the maximum authorized dimensions and weights allowed in normal traffic in Finland.
The Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Pirkanmaa is the only organisation that issues permits for abnormal transports in Finland, with the exception of Åland Islands. On Åland, the abnormal transport permit is issued by the provincial government of Åland.
Vehicles or vehicle combinations registered in an EU or EEA country
Finland allows the same dimensions and weights for all vehicles and vehicle combinations registered in EU and EEA countries as to Finnish vehicles and vehicle combination.
In Finland abnormal transport vehicle or vehicle combination registered in an EU or EEA country have so called "free dimension limits". This means that although the transport exceeds the authorized dimensions allowed in normal traffic, it doesn't necessarily require an abnormal transport permit. However, the transport must always comply with all the rules and regulations concerning abnormal transports (such as marking of transport, the amount of escort vehicles and traffic directors).
In Finland, a vehicle or vehicle combination registered in an EU or EEA country requires an abnormal transport permit from the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Pirkanmaa if:
- the dimensions of the transport exceed the free dimension limits (see Free dimension limits appendix)
- axle, bogie or total weights exceed the authorized weights allowed in normal traffic in Finland (see Maximum weight in normal traffic appendix).
Vehicles or vehicle combinations registered in other countries
Vehicles or vehicle combinations registered outside EU or EEA countries always require an abnormal transport permit if the dimensions or weights of the transport exceed the authorized dimensions or weights allowed in normal traffic in Finland (see Other countries in separate appendices).
If only either the towing vehicle or trailer is registered outside EU or EEA country, rules concerning vehicles registered outside EU or EEA countries are adapted to the whole transport.
Permit is applied by sending filled permit application form to the Centre for Economical Development, Transport and Environment for Pirkanmaa by fax, e-mail or mail. The application form and the contact information are found on the right side of this page.
An abnormal transport permit is issued only between the start and end location(s) specified in the permit application. The transport route is specified by means of road numbers, road names as well as the names of junctions and places.
The permit is granted either to the transport company, the client ordering the transport, or the manufacturer of the load being transported. The permit cannot be transferred to another company or private person.
An abnormal transport permit on road may be issued if
- the object cannot be transported at all using another mode of transport (rail, sea, etc.), or it cannot be transported without unreasonable costs, or without causing danger;
- the transport vehicle is approved and registered for traffic, and also suitable for the transport in question; and
- there are no obstructions and the capacities of bridges are sufficient along the transport route.
What appendices are required?
A copy of registration documents must always be affixed to the application form.
A copy of a coupling inspection certificate, issued by Finnish authorities, must be affixed to the application form if:
- the empty vehicle combination exceeds the maximum authorized dimensions or weights allowed in normal traffic in Finland
- the loaded vehicle combination, excluding the load, exceeds the maximum authorized dimensions allowed in normal traffic in Finland (e.g. extendable trailers)
- the loaded vehicle combination (including load) exceeds the maximum authorized weights allowed in normal traffic in Finland.
Finnish vehicle inspection stations carry out coupling inspections and issue the required certificates for abnormal transports and towed machinery. See contact information on the right side of this page.
Permit conditions include the relevant sections of the statutes and other conditions laid down for abnormal transports. Permit conditions are same for all abnormal transports. Permit conditions can be printed from these internet pages.
How long does the permit procedure take?
The processing of a permit for very heavy transports (>100 tonnes) takes usually about one week. It may take longer if the capacity of bridges must be calculated. The procedure of other permits takes about five workdays. If the permit includes several routes, the permit may take longer to process.
The permit can be written in Finnish or Swedish.
Monday – Friday 9:00–16:00
Tel. int. +358 295 020 600
Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Pirkanmaa
Abnormal transport permits
PO Box 297
Fax int. +358-2060 26301
Dimension and weight limits
- Maximum weights and dimensions allowed in normal road traffic, Decree on the Use of Vehicles on the Road: Chapter 4 and 4a (www.finlex.fi, in finnish)
- Maximum dimensions allowed in normal road traffic (pdf, 271 kt)
- Free dimension limits (pdf, 26 kb)
- Permit conditions 8/2017 (pdf, 276 kt)
- Permit conditions 3/2015 (pdf, 116 kb)
- Permit conditions 8/2017 in Russian (pdf, 366 kb)
- Permit conditions 3/2015 in Russian (pdf, 169 kb)
- УСЛОВИЯ ВЫДАЧИ РАЗРЕШЕНИЯ НА ТРАНСПОРТИРОВКУ НЕГАБАРИТНЫХ ГРУЗОВ 8/2017
- УСЛОВИЯ ВЫДАЧИ РАЗРЕШЕНИЯ НА ТРАНСПОРТИРОВКУ НЕГАБАРИТНЫХ ГРУЗОВ 3/2015
Prices and effective times